Lighthouse Cabo de Sao Vicente in February, 2008, situated in the most southwest corner of Europe on one of both
rock capes. Because these points were of course also from strategic significance, they are developed as small fortresses.
It is the oldest lighthouse of Portugal.
(works since 1846, 1926 electrified, 1982 automated, height of building 28 m, height of fire 86 m,
range of light white 32 sm,
characteristic [Fl W 5s] one flash every five seconds,
int. No.: D 2168)
[ 0.1s - (4.9s) ]
coordinates (GPS): 37°01'23.3''N - 08°59'45.2''W
During the day the lantern room is overcast with white cloths, so that the sunlight doesn't shine on the lens optics
of the tower and arranges no damage in the focus point. At least, the tower owns one of the biggest Fresnellinse of the world:
4 metres in the diameter, 1.33 metres deep. The tower received these optics in 1908 when it was raised by 5.8 m.
In 1914 it received a fog signal.
The view to Cabo de Sao Vicente from Ponta de Sagres only some kilometres away. There stands another
lighthouse which also marks the South-West-Cape of Europe.