Lighthouse Little Samphire Island in September 2010. It is located about 800 m offshore in the west of
Fenit in County Kerry. At low tide it shall be sometimes possible to walk to the lighthouse -
we had no chance to control this. It is a harbour light to guide ships to the entrance of Tralee Bay.
When the lighthouse was established it has a fixed light with a red and a white sector. At 1 January 1911
it was changed to occulting light and at 29 May 1931 a green sector was added to cover more rocks to its east.
At 28 October 1976 the current light character was established and the lighthouse was electrified, because the
increased lights on the mainland were interfering with the light of the lighthouse.
(works since 01 June 1854, automated 02 January 1956, electrified 28 October 1976,
height of building 13.5 m, height of fire 17 m,
range of light white 16 sm - red 13 sm - green 13 sm,
characteristic [Fl WRG 5s] one flash every five seconds,
int. No.: A 6392)
[ 1 s - (4 s) ]