old lighthouse Calais

Old lighthouse Calais (Tour du Guet) in May 2004. The tower was built in the 13th century, from 1818 to 1848 it had the function as a lighthouse, than it was replaced through the new lighthouse. The tower has a sad history: In 1580 an earthquake destroyed one half of it, in 1696 an English cannon ball opened a large breach in its wall. In 1940 German shells and bombs, later allied bombings damaged the tower. During its existence, it was used as a military pigeon-loft, a military optical telegraphic system and a lighthouse.

(height of building 38 m)
coordinates (GPS) : 5057'31.1''N - 0150'59.2''E
index
map northern France
map France