West tower Wangerooge in December 2003. This tower never worked as a lighthouse. But it is a facsimile of a
tower which stood more westly. This old West tower at first stood in the sea and later it was destroyed during World War One.
This tower was a lighthouse from 1602 till 1630. The original top of this old tower is a part of an exhibition near the
old lighthouse (lower picture).
Today the new West Tower is a striking sign for the ships on the island of Wangerooge. It is now a youth hostel. The
new lighthouse stands not far away from the West tower.
(Old West tower: lighthouse, worked from 1602 till 1620,
height of building 56 m, height of fire 35 m)